Exercise is essential to have and maintain a healthy lifestyle, however when exercising it is important you keep yourself as safe as possible! These tips can easily help point you in the right direction.
- Choose clothes and shoes designed for the type of exercise you will be participating in as these will be purposely made helping to reduce injury, enhance performance and will be a lot more comfortable.
- Ensure you wear the correct protective equipment, i.e. helmets if cycling.
- If you plan on exercising out in public areas such as running or cycling on roads/pavements, ensure your clothing is bright and/or reflective as this will enhance your safety making you more visible to other road users.
- Plan to start off slowly and increase workload and intensity gradually – this will make exercise a lot more enjoyable and reduce injury risk.
- If you have the opportunity to exercise in groups or with a partner then it can often be more motivating and 'safer in numbers', however if exercising by yourself ensure you let someone know where you're going, what you're doing and when you expect to be back.
- Carry a mobile phone with you in case of an emergency.
- Be cautious of any tripping hazards out on the roads or pavements such as uneven surfaces, drain covers or obstacles that you may come across.
- Be streetwise! – always be careful and follow the highway code when crossing roads.