Top Tips to get Walking
- Keep track of how much you're walking – do you know how much you walk already? Use the Workplace Challenge to keep a note of when and where you walk this week and try and walk a bit more next week.
- Create your own rewards – walking more will help you save money. Notice the change in your fuel or transport costs when you regularly walk instead of drive for short trips. Use the savings to treat yourself.
- Have fun – if you're walking with the whole family, why not introduce games like I-spy or scavenger hunts to keep the kids (and you) going!
- Keep it interesting – walk more regularly and you'll soon be building up the distance. Mix up your routes to help you discover new places right on your doorstep.
- Set a challenge – this is where Workplace Challenge comes in. During our 'Which beach will you reach?' challenge, challenge yourself by setting a target. Why not try increasing the speed for 1 minute out of every 5?
- Fit walking into your day – instead of staying at your desk for lunch, why not head outside with colleagues and take a 10 minute walk? It will increase your productivity when back in the office and break up your day. If you have a meeting that is less formal, why not do it on foot? Walk and talk!
- Get your friends/colleagues involved – a brisk walk will get your blood pumping but you will still be able to have a natter. Why not meet up with friends or colleagues for a catch up? You may find that someone from work walks to work the same way as you do, so why not join them?