Top Tips to get Running
- Running is a fantastic form of exercise because you don't need much equipment. It may be worth investing in a good pair of running shoes to make sure that your run is as comfortable and safe as it can be.
- Plan your runs – put it in your diary. That way, you have it in your mind and won't plan anything else instead.
- If you haven't run before or for a while, remember to ease yourself into running slowly and increase the pace/distance gradually as you get more used to it.
- Warm up - Remember to warm up for at least 5 minutes before each run. You could march on the spot, climb the stairs, side step or do knee lifts.
- Mix it up - When you first start, try mixing walking and running together. The walking phase will provide a good recovery.
- If you need help with how to run correctly: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-run.aspx
- The NHS Couch to 5k programme is a great programme to get you started. It is designed to get you off the couch and running in just 9 weeks. It provides step-by-step instructions via a free app: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
- Join a group – RunTogether was created by England Athletics to provide fun, friendly, supportive and inclusive opportunities for those who want to run. Find a group near you: https://runtogether.co.uk/groups/
For more information on running: www.lrsport.org/sports/running