Exercise of the Week
Why should I do it? One benefit of burpees is strength building as they require you to perform push ups and squats. They are also performed in rapid succession and use your entire body weight which makes them a high load exercise and therefore effective at increasing muscular endurance. The intensity of burpees and the number of muscles needed to perform this exercise results in a large caloric expenditure. Because you lose weight by burning more calories than you consume, burpees may help you lose weight.
How do I do it?
1. Bend over or squat down and place your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside of your feet.
2. Jump both feet back so that you're now in plank position.
3. Drop to a push-up—your chest should touch the floor. You can also drop to your knees here, which makes the impending push-up easier.
4. Push up to return to plank position (this can be a strict push-up, a push-up from the knees, or not a push-up at all (i.e., just push yourself up from the ground as you would if you weren't working out)—your choice).
5. Jump the feet back in toward the hands.
6. Explosively jump into the air, reaching your arms straight overhead.
January Activity of the Month
In 1873, the Duke of Beaufort hosted a lawn party at his country house in the village of Badminton in Gloucestershire. The game of Poona was played and became a popular game among the British elite. The new party sport became known as 'the Badminton game' and in 1893, The Badminton Association was formed.
Nowadays, the Badminton World Federation has over 160 member countries and so the future for the game is looking positive.
The game requires minimal equipment; two racquets, a shuttlecock and a net. The most common forms of the game are "singles" and "doubles". Formal games are played on a rectangular indoor court. Points are scored by striking the shuttlecock with the racquet and landing it within the opposing sides half of the court. Each game is played to 21 points, with players scoring a point whenever they win a rally. A match is the best of three games. If the score reaches 20-all, then the game continues until one side gains a two-point lead e.g. 24-22.
No Strings Badminton – No Strings Badminton is a low cost way to play badminton for relaxed, social gameplay for adult players of all abilities. Use it as an opportunity to enjoy convenient weekly court time that gets you swinging a racket for fun and fitness with people like you.
Sessions near you include
- Parklands Leisure Centre
- Babington Community College
- The Pavilion
- Soar Valley Leisure Centre
- Loughborough Leisure Centre
- Hinckley Leisure Centre (plus many more)
Visit https://www.nostringsbadminton.co.uk/default.asp to find out more.