Key Facts & Information
Why should your business be an 'active' business*?
- 19% of men and 26% of women are 'physically inactive'.
- Around a quarter of us are still classified as inactive, failing to achieve a minimum of 30 minutes of activity a week.
- More than 40% of women and 35% of men spend more than six hours a day desk-bound or sitting still.
- More than 1 in 17 adults in the UK have diabetes; 90% have type 2 diabetes, which is associated with lifestyle. Being active can reduce the risk of developing this condition by 30-40%. People with diabetes can reduce their need for medication and the risk of complications by being more active.
- Persuading inactive people to become more active could prevent one in ten cases of stroke and heart disease in the UK.
There are many benefits of the Workplace Challenge to your businesses and your
employees. So why not get take the challenge and sign up FREE today.
Benefits to your Business
- Physical activity has positive effects on work performance, productivity and absenteeism, by taking part in this challenge it shows that your business cares about your employee's health leading to the development of a valued workforce and reduced staff turnover.
- The social aspect of the challenge will create fun in workplace, increasing morale, team spirit and development of professional relationships.
- There will be many business involved with the challenge allowing for inter business relationships to develop through business to business networking.
Benefits for your employees
- Physical activity is well known to improve a person's health and fitness, health is however, not just the physical improvements but also covers social and mental aspects too. So by taking part in the Workplace Challenge your employees can also improve their motivation, sleep quality, energy and stress levels, as well as offering an opportunity to meet new people, improve communication skills and develop better working relationships.
- If active travel is logged then this will save some pennies post-Christmas on parking and petrol and help the environment by saving CO2
- Most importantly though the Workplace Challenge is FUN!
Sign up and take part for free at www.workplacechallenge.org.uk
*Facts from PHE Everybody Active Every Day report (2014) - www.gov.uk/phe
BHF Health at Work
In partnership with the BHF Health at Work team we've been training and supporting a network of Workplace Challenge Champions who are working to make the case and improve health by getting their colleagues more active.
BHF Health at Work (www.bhf.org.uk/health-at-work) have developed some great resources to help champions and their businesses to make the case and take action in promoting workplace health and wellbeing. Make use of the BHF Health at Work website for information about:
- Making the case and the benefits of a health and active workforce for employees and employers.
- Building the business case and the value of workplace health initiatives.
- Resources to help you plan, develop and deliver an effective workplace health programme.
BHF National Centre for Physical Activity & Health
The BHF National Centre for Physical Activity & Health (BHFNC) are undertaking an independent evaluation of the Workplace Challenge.
The BHFNC website (www.bhfactive.org.uk) includes lots of information about research and evidence regarding physical activity. Check out the website for information about:
- Adults physical activity including information about physical activity guidelines, projects, training & events.