Take Care and Be Safe
- Choose comfortable, supportive shoes, such as running, walking or cross-training shoes.
- Keep hydrated by drinking water or fluids before, during and after exercise.
- Be careful of traffic and take particular care at road junctions.
- Try to avoid wearing headphones when you are on an unfamiliar route.
- There is safety in numbers – it is always best to walk, run, cycle, etc with at least one other person if possible. However, if you have to exercise alone then always tell somebody when and where you are going and how long you expect to be.
- Carry a mobile phone in case of emergency.
- Look out for tripping hazards such as uneven pavements or, if off-road, tree roots and large stones.Wear reflective clothing in the dark.
- Information on road postitioning when cycling is available online http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/how-to-road-positioning