The Big Devon March will focus on workplaces and schools by encouraging everybody to walk more throughout the month of March. Whether it’s a walking meeting or creating a walking bus to school we want everybody in Devon to increase their walking levels throughout the month of March.
Walking is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier. The Big Devon March will focus on workplaces and schools by encouraging everybody to walk more throughout the month of March. Whether it's a walking meeting or creating a walking bus to school we want everybody in Devon to increase their walking levels throughout the month of March.
How can you get involved?
Workplaces and schools can log their activity levels throughout the Workplace Challenge website and App which is downloadable from the App store. Walking can be logged under the 'Walking' or 'Walking (Steps / Pedometers)' category.
Ideas for increasing your walking levels
Make it a habit
The easiest way to walk more is to make walking a habit. Think of ways to include walking into your daily routine. Examples include:
- walking part of your journey to work
- walking to the shops
- using the stairs instead of the lift
- leaving the car behind for short journeys
- walking the kids to school
- doing a regular walk with a friend
- going for a stroll with family or friends after dinner
Active Devon can support you to become a Workplace Champion
Active Devon can offer;
- Formal training for the Workplace Champion
- A small budget for staff training, equipment
- FREE survey tool to consult with staff
- Big Devon March Champion Pack
What might a Big Devon March Workplace Champion look like?
- Provide a regular point of contact for Active Devon to develop an Active Workplace
- Be a conduit for information to be communicated to staff
- Advocate and promote the benefits of being active at work
- Explore personal development opportunities for staff (e.g. Become a Run/Cycle/Walk Leader)
- Consider attending networking and training opportunities
- Develop a calendar of activity for staff
- Submit an annual update / case study regarding impact of physical activity in your workplace
If you could like to become a Big Devon March Champion for your workplace, please contact Scott Kendall via email; firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone; 07779118257
|#||Workplace||Users||Departments||Distance (Average)||Distance (Total)|
|1st||Exeter College (Hele Road Site)||39||10||80 miles||3,127 miles|
|2nd||MDEC Royal Mail (Pennycomequick Plymouth)||16||1||115 miles||1,841 miles|
|3rd||Devon County Council (County Hall)||40||13||44 miles||1,741 miles|